Sunday, May 6, 2007

Adult Child Going Astray

Over at Gangstyle.com:

he is 23 doing everything I dont want him to be doing, he has disowned me, because I said it is not good, how do I handle it, how do parents handle it thank you Cathie


My thoughts:

Prayer.

Under those circumstances, you can sure understand what the Lord goes through. Starting in the Garden of Eden, and especially today, so many people have disowned Him and do everything the He knows is not good, everything that He knows leads only trouble, everything that He has warned us not to do.

He understands that there comes a time when the kids need to go make their own mistakes, so that the mess that they get themselves into humbles them a little, so that they are then open to hearing a little wisdom. Short of that, many kids think they know something about everything, and don't have time for learning from experiences of people who have made the mistakes already, or who know where some roads take a person. Often times, even making those mistakes themselves doesn't seem to do it for our kids.

In the following passage from Isaiah, we can easily envision an angry God striking at the inhabitants of the earth:


65:2 I have stretched out My hands all day long to a rebellious people,
Who walk in a way that is not good,
According to their own thoughts;
65:3 A people who provoke Me to anger continually to My face;...

65:11 "But you are those who forsake the Lord,
Who forget My holy mountain,
Who prepare a table for Gad,
And who furnish a drink offering for Meni.
65:12 Therefore I will number you for the sword,
And you shall all bow down to the slaughter;
Because, when I called, you did not answer;
When I spoke, you did not hear,
But did evil before My eyes,
And chose that in which I do not delight."

Yet, the Lord is not about "getting" us for what we do. Quite the opposite, He does a great deal to show us the right way, and to convince us to be on it. But, ultimately, He will respect our choice. And our choices to walk in ways that are not good lead to consequences that are not good.

Put another way, the Lord doesn't have to take vengeance on us; we take vengeance on ourselves. He tries to convince us not to. But, it may only be when we goof things up enough that we finally make ourselves ready to listen to His wisdom.

Similarly, it may only be after your son has goofed some things up that he appreciates that his mom, while not perfect (no one is), does love him and does try her best to keep him from making mistakes which are obvious to her.

"he is 23" "he has disowned me"

He's an adult, and you need to face the possibility that there is nothing you can do, other than prayer. And, like the Lord, Who is there for us waiting for us to return, no matter how far astray we go, you can do your son a service by being there for him to take him back when he returns, no matter how far astray he goes.

"how do parents handle it"

That's my take on how our Father handles it, and a suggestion for you.



It's not easy.

Imagine how He felt, watching His Son on the cross.... And that was not His Son's doing, that was our doing!

No comments: